Safety Tips for your Home: Natural Gas

June 29, 2018

Many of us depend on natural gas to warm our homes, cook our food and heat our water—it is a clean, dependable natural resource. It can, however, be a safety hazard. Take the time to read how you can reduce the risk of natural gas accidents.

 

There are many ways gas can leak in your home ? a malfunctioning stove igniter, a blown pilot light in a gas fireplace. All can lead to a dangerous buildup of gas - and it doesn't take much.

 

Safety is our highest priority. Follow these safety tips to keep yourself and your family safe.

  • Never use a flashlight, match or candle to look for gas leaks, and never turn electric switches on or off if you suspect a gas leak.

  • Do not store flammable materials such as mops, brooms, laundry and newspapers near your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.

  • Do not store combustible materials such as paints, solvents and gasoline in the same room as your water heater, furnace, oven, range or any gas appliance.

  • Stock your kitchen with a fire extinguisher.

  • If a pilot light is out, shut off the gas at the appliance gas shutoff valve. Wait five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to relight the appliance pilot light.

  • Keep an adjustable pipe or crescent wrench or other similar tool near your main shutoff valve so you don’t have to search for one in times of emergency.

Please reload

Featured Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Recent Posts

October 18, 2019

Please reload

Archive